Aromatherapy is the perfect remedy to handle most bothersome menopause symptoms, along with the longer-term solutions of healthy, natural foods and herbal remedies.
Smells can initiate specific physical and psychological reactions by stimulating the release of neurotransmitters in the brain to balance hormones and increase feelings of well-being.
There are many essential oils that help balance hormones at menopause including Clary sage, Fennel, Geranium, Cypress, Angelica, Coriander, Sage, Geranium, Neroli, Lavender and Vitex.
Easy Ways to Use Aromatherapy
It’s always best to choose essential oils that you love. Give yourself the added boost of enjoying the scent while it helps your body, mind and emotions handle your challenging menopause symptoms.
Did you know that …
- Bergamot is the ‘anti-anger’ oil that uplifts your mood and reduces tense moods, anxiety, and depression
- Clary sage improves mental clarity, eases anxiety and stops hot flashes
- Chamomile has a calming effect that eases tension, anxiety and headaches
- Geranium balances hormones and reduces stress
- Sandalwood promotes vaginal secretions and stimulates sex hormones
- Lavender’s sedative properties help overcome insomnia
- Basil, Peppermint and Rosemary are valuable for giving a boost of energy and alertness.
How to Use Aromatherapy
- Inhalation – put a few drops essential oil of your choice onto a handkerchief, tissue or cotton ball and inhale whenever symptoms arise. You can also purchase an electric aromatherapy diffuser for your home or car.
- Body Moisturizer – Mix 2 drops essential oils of your choice, to 1 tsp (5 ml) unscented lotion, cream or ‘carrier oil’ such as sweet almond oil, fractionated coconut oil or apricot kernel oil.
- Massage Oil/Bath – Mix 2-3 drops essential oils of your choice, to 1 tsp (5 ml) ‘carrier oil’ such as sweet almond oil, fractionated coconut oil or apricot kernel oil.
- Milk Bath – Stir 8 drops essential oil (total) into ½ cup milk or cream to disperse oils and create a luxurious hot milk aroma bath.
*An aromatherapy bath allows healing properties of the oils to enter through your skin, and through inhalation of the steam that rises from the bathwater.