11 Ways to Reduce Menstrual Flooding

Three years ago I was shopping with my husband in a small town several hours drive from home. I suddenly had to rush back to the car when I realized that I was experiencing a menstrual flood. This had never happened before. I was shocked and became frightened that the bleeding wouldn’t stop! I thought that there must be a natural method that could help me. After cleaning up in a nearby restroom, pale and weak, but not ready to give up, I asked my husband drive me to the town’s natural health store.

‘No’, the woman who worked there assured me with an amused smile, “there’s nothing that stops menstrual bleeding or slows it down.” The bleeding eventually did stop on its own, but that comment by a well-meaning, but ignorant employee, left me annoyed and inspired to search for herbs I knew must exist that could do what she said was impossible.

I found them.

Red raspberry leaf, ladies mantle, shepherd’s purse, and yarrow all slow or reduce menstrual bleeding.

Use one or a combination to make herbal tea or buy them in tincture form at the natural food store. I chose to drink a blend of 1-2 tsp each dried red raspberry leaves and ladies mantle leaves, steeped 10 minutes. This works best if you have one cup a day for about week before menstruation and 1-2 cups during your period. If you like it sweeter, add several pieces of licorice root to steep with the leaves or ¼ tsp honey after the tea is ready.

An effective aromatherapy treatment is to rub your abdomen several times a day with 1 tsp olive oil or sweet almond oil blended with 2-3 drops sage essential oil.

I also came across an unusual suggestion for reducing profuse menstruation in an old herbal by Dian Dincin Buchman in my personal library. ‘Grate and dry carrots and eat one piece at a time several times a day, as a potent aid to regulate menstruation. Grate about a pound from the heaviest part of the carrot. Dry it on paper in the sun for a week or two until it shrivels up into small pieces.” She also suggests adding a few grains of cayenne pepper to the herbal tea of your choice, drinking diluted lemon juice during your period, eating lentils and drinking a half cup of strong thyme tea, morning and evening. She suggests making shepherd’s purse tea by infusing a handful of the herb in a pint of boiling water. Drink the tea warm if possible. Use 2 cups three times a day.

A long-term solution to address the underlying cause of hormonal imbalance, is the wonderful woman’s herb Vitex aka Chasteberry, that helps balance hormones. A 1930s scientific study using a tincture of dried vitex berries found that a month or two of using this herb normalized menstrual cycles and reduced flow.

Since excessive menstrual bleeding (or menorrhagia) can indicate several serious problems, be sure to consult your doctor for a diagnosis before beginning self-treatment.

An excess of estrogen and prolactin or an excess of a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin 2 are two possible causes for heavy menstrual periods. A sluggish thyroid also increases menstruation. So can endometriosis, uterine fibroids, an IUD birth control device, and blood thinning drugs.

Menstruation normally causes a decrease in physical energy, and if you bleed heavily you may find that your blood pressure becomes low, leading to a feeling of exhaustion and an irresistible desire to take a nap during the day! Excessive menstruation can lead to anemia and that can also lead to extreme fatigue. Some medical researchers believe that iron deficiency stimulates bleeding, which leads to an even greater iron deficiency.

To correct anemia, drink herbal teas made from herbs that have high levels of iron including stinging nettle, oatstraw herb, red clover, red raspberry, goji berries, and rooibos. Your natural food store will have pills or liquid Floridix which is highly absorbable, unlike iron pills dispensed through conventional drug stores.

If you experience cramping along with heavy bleeding, use the same herbs suggested for alleviating menstrual cramps—wild yam root, false unicorn root, cramp bark and American spikenard—to reduce the severity of both of the problems.

Herbs to Reduce Excessive Menstruation

Vitex (Chasteberry) – regulates and normalizes hormones connected to the reproductive system. It is especially beneficial and the herb of choice for many women to relieve menopausal changes. It has a profound action in lessening ‘hot flashes.’ Studies verify that vitex increases the production of lutenizing hormones, enhancing the progesterone cycle. At the same time it inhibits the release of the follicle-stimulating hormone, FSH, and normalizes the estrogen cycle. Vitex may be used for acute situations but it is most effective if taken over a prolonged period of time. No side effects have ever been reported from extensive and extended use of this plant.

Red raspberry: Due to the drying effect of the tannins it contains, Red raspberry is used to treat profuse and painful menstruation. It relaxes uterine and intestinal spasms and strengthens uterine walls. Red Raspberry leaves are nutritious too – containing vitamins A, B, C, and E – they’re also rich in calcium, phosphorus, niacin and iron. They are an excellent source of manganese, a trace mineral used by the body to produce healthy connective tissue, such as bone matrix and cartilage and an important factor in energy metabolism. Red Raspberry promotes healthy nails, bones, teeth and skin. Drinking 1-2 cups of red raspberry leaf every day is a nutritious tonic tea.

Lady’s mantle: Lady’s Mantle’s astringent and styptic properties help reduce period pains and lessen heavy menstrual bleeding. It helps a woman’s body adjust to changing hormone levels during menopause. It is an anti-estrogenic herb that helps regulate irregular cycles, relieves cramps.

Yarrow: A catalyst for the female reproductive system, it has a positive effect on ovarian problems, menstrual irregularity, menstrual cramps, and menopausal symptoms, insomnia, nervous tension, stress related conditions;. It is used to reduce excessive menstrual bleeding, to ease menstrual cramps and to stimulate delayed or absent menstrual cycles. Famous German herbalist Maria Treban writes: “Yarrow is a medicinal herb that would be difficult to be without; it is of great value for many illnesses but first and foremost, it is a herb for women. I cannot recommend Yarrow enough for women…A woman during menopause should take advantage of Yarrow tea and save herself a lot of inner restlessness and other problems.” Drink a cup of yarrow tea daily;

Shepherd’s purse: Shepherd’s purse is used to stop heavy bleeding and hemorrhaging, particularly from the uterus when taken internally. It has also been used to treat postpartum hemorrhage. It is considered most effective for the treatment of chronic uterine bleeding disorders, including uterine bleeding due to the presence of uterine fibroids. Shepherd’s purse has been used internally to treat cases of blood in the urine and bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract, such as with bleeding ulcers. An astringent agent, shepherd’s purse constricts blood vessels and reduces blood flow. Shepherd’s purse is also thought to cause the uterine muscle to contract, which also helps reduce bleeding. It is a remedy for blood pressure problems, nosebleeds, irregular heartbeat, wounds and burns.

Cautions: Pregnant or breastfeeding women, people with kidney stones or kidney disease should avoid Shepherd’s purse. Consult with your doctor before taking Shepherd’s purse if you have blood pressure, thyroid gland, or heart problems.

Have you had heavy menstrual bleeding at menopause that you’ve controlled in other ways? I’d love to hear from you! Please comment and share.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave A Reply (41 comments so far)

1. sheena b
    4 years ago

hi! i am so glad i found this page! i have been experiencing this for the past 3 years and passed around from doctor to doctor. every test i get back is “normal” but i know something is wrong. i began bleeding heavily for 3-4 months at a time with a “break” for another 3-4 months. i finally went to a doctor with all types of tests; came back negative for fibroids and the only thing they could say is to use birth control to balance my hormones which is what i dont want to do. i can say that my episodes have gotten shorter; but its still very long. my last one was from dec 26-feb 7th. and now im spotting again.

i want to know when should i take the herbs and the tea?

4 years ago

Good for you for paying attention to your body’s signals that something is definitely wrong. I agree with your doctor that it looks like your hormones are out of balance. However, the root of your problems may not be your sex hormones. Have you had your thyroid hormones checked – T3 and T4? Many of the common indicators of menopause are the same symptoms for problems with thyroid hormones. Sometimes the thyroid itself is functioning just fine, but the hormones it produces are not working properly. There are many contributing factors including long periods of stress, iodine deficiency and anxiety.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of healthy choices you can make to take your health back into your own hands. Buy some brown seaweed at a natural food store and have a piece or two daily as a natural source of of the essential element iodine. To help you balance your sex hormones, I suggest you consider taking 15 to 25 drops of ‘the women’s herb’ Vitex tincture 3 times daily in a little water. You may need to do this for a month or two to see if it’s the right herb for you. If you prefer, you could take a ‘menopause tea’ on a daily basis. I provide the recipe in my new Wellness Guide: “Eat Well, Live Well” that you can download from this website – on the Offer page. This e-book has practical how-to suggestions and information about using nutrition and cleansing, stress management, drinking the right amount of fluids, etc. to achieve wellness. I suggest you begin implementing as much as you can into your day. Finding balance is best achieved through a holistic approach.

My suggestions are not meant to substitute for those of a qualified health practitioner who will ask you about your health history and help you determine the best course of action for you personally. If you haven’t found a practitioner you feel you can work with, please consider going to a naturopathic doctor who will be able to order tests to determine your thyroid hormone function and whether or not you need extra support with your sex hormones.

I hope this helps!

Wendy

2. sarah
    4 years ago

I’m 36. I’ve been bleeding heavily and painfully for 3 weeks at a time for 17 months, since I can no longer take birth control due to a DVT (blood clot.) I have been diagnosed with fibroids. I’ve tried Mirena IUD, but both insertions have fallen out due to the heavy flow. I’ve had a D&C to try to help clear out some cysts. Nothing is helping. My doctor is out of ideas.I can’t live like this. Do you have any ideas to help me?

4 years ago

I have a lot of compassion for your situation, having been through a similar experience myself. Have you been taking anything for anemia? If not, I encourage you to take action on that first. Floradix is a good brand of iron supplements – pills or liquid. You can also get a significant source of iron and other minerals from stinging nettle infusion or capsules. Take with Vitamin C to enhance absorption at least twice daily.

I suggest that you get underneath the possible emotional cause of your situation. I have helped many people achieve success with Emotional Freedom Techniques. The Sedona Method is another releasing technique that has worked for many people. For more information on EFT, please do a keyword search on this website. I offer personal coaching sessions by phone or Skype, if you want help working on your particular situation.

Good luck Sarah. Don’t give up. I hope you find the support you need and the solution that’s right for you.

Wendy

3. Brigitte
    3 years ago

I experienced “flooding” for the first time 2 weeks ago, and am terrified of it happening again (I was lucky this time because it was on a Sunday and I was home – I work full-time, so it could have been a real disaster). I’ve always had very heavy periods, but nothing like this. It was two-and-a-half really long hours (and as shocking as this sounds, I went thru 38 “super-plus” tampons and a box of pads in that time.) I plan to try the herbs you’ve listed above, but can you tell me if there are any foods, etc., I should avoid as well? I know alcohol and aspirin are supposed to make flooding worse, but is there anything else to avoid? Thanks so much!

3 years ago

I’m not aware of any foods to avoid. Blood thinning drugs make clotting more difficult, so talk to your health care provider if you’re using drugs like that. The homeopathic remedy Phosphorus 30 CH or 200 CH (potency) is known to help the body stop bleeding. I take it at the first sign that I’m getting my period. It’s helped me a lot, although it may not work for everyone! You can purchse it at many natural food stores. Good luck!

4. Dale
    3 years ago

I have had really good results using a homoepathic remedy for nearly 18 months. I did not even have a period, never mind the dreadful flooding that I had been experiencing. Then one day, 2 months ago, I just started dripping continuously, which was not so bad, just really irritating, for about 2 weeks, but one gets tired of always wearing a pad just in case. I continued to take the same remedy which had supported me all along, no luck. The dripping turned back to flooding, which has been going on for 6 weeks now non-stop. This last week, I started hearing my pulse in my ears, which gets worse whenever I exert myself to any degree. Yesterday, I started feeling a bit light-headed and confused at work, taking ages to complete any task, I have dull headaches from time to time,but nothing to write home about and I have noticed that I am not as energetic as usual and I keep dropping things and my typing skills have gone to pot all of a sudden. After work, I went to get my blood pressure checked which turned out to be normal. This is quite odd for me as it is always low and the only time that it has ever been normal was when I pregnant! and I am not pregnant now. Having established that my blood pressure was normal, the chemist sent me off with an iron supplement and another homoepathic tincture to try to stop the bleeding. The bleeding thus far has slowed down and she warned me that the iron supplements would only make me feel better in about 2 weeks time. I would really like to know how to get rid of the continual pounding noise that I am experiencing in my ears. I find that quite distressing. I read that the sinuses and/or high blood pressure can sometimes cause that, but I have neither.

3 years ago

Hi Dale:

I have personal experience with that rushing sound in your ears that you’re experiencing. It’s from the anemia and, from what you describe, you’re likely severely anemic after losing all that blood. I’m glad the chemist (called a pharmacist in Canada where I am) gave you iron pills! Take them religiously. If they cause stomach upset like they did for me, go to the natural foods store and purchase a liquid iron supplement by the German company Salus. I take Floravit, which is the vegetarian version.

I had to have 4 iron transfusions at the hospital blood clinic last summer when I returned from a conference in Las Vegas where I bled profusely, from uterine fibroids, the entire week I was there. The sound will go away once your blood returns to ‘normal’. I’m curious about the homeopathic remedy you’ve been using – phosphorus? It’s a common homeopathic remedy known to slow/stop bleeding anywhere in the body.

I hope this helps.

Warmly,

Wendy

5. angela coleman
    2 years ago

Hello, I would aldo like to share with you remedies I found for balancing heavy periods, menopause & PMS. DIM (diindolylmethane) it also decreases breast, uterine & cervical cancers. recomended dosage is 100-200mg Capsules daily

2 years ago

Hi Angela: I’ve heard that DIM is very effective. Haven’t tried it. You say it was effective for your heavy periods – did you have fibroids or endometriosis, or heavy periods only?

6. M Wilson
    2 years ago

I believe it depends on the individual but cod liver oil with vitamin A is great to reduce or stop heavy menstrual flow very well but I’ve found it only works well if you are not under high level stress which seems to interfere with the productivity since stress seems to knock the hormonal system out of whack anyway.
    Hope this is helpful as well.
    Live healthy, Live Happy.

7. Grace Dominic
    2 years ago

Hi i am 44 years old and have being bleeding for the past 4 years without remedy. I was diagonosed with anemia and was tranfused and given iron tables to take with Norethisterone daily to redused the bleeding. however my Doctor advised that it is hormonal as such i should under go operation to remove all my reproductive organ ie ovaries and the womb. I declined and decided to take herbs. I have been under prolong stress which i believe has contributed to my problem. please can you tell me what to do as i live in an area that may not have some of the items listed above. urgent.

2 years ago

Hi Grace: I’m so sorry that you’ve been under such terrible stress. You’re right – the stress in your life is probably the root cause of what’s going on in your body. It’s easier for doctors to recommend the only way they know to get rid of your problem fast – remove all your reproductive organs. No one would suggest a man have his testicles removed unless his life was being threatened by some disease! Your ovaries are an essential part of your femininity – even after menopause. Hang onto them.

The best advice for you is to start dealing with your stress. You may need to tap your reserves of courage to make some difficult decisions that in the long run will nourish your body, mind and spirit. You didn’t say what is causing your stress, but you probably feel stuck in some way. Take action – even a small positive step towards making yourself feel better. See my blog on December 16th to learn stress relieving strategies that may make a real difference in how you feel. Make sure you are taking additional iron. A liquid iron supplement from the natural food store is easier on your body than tablets. I hope this helps. – Wendy

8. Malia
    2 years ago

I am very happy to see your information, and thank you for sharing it.

Heavy menstrual bleeding runs in the family, my daughter and granddaughter.
    We watch our iron, eat well as we can, and see the doctor time to time, because
    if it. I like your information cause you also put be-ware information for people whom are breastfeeding, or with disease. I am making a few copies for your site and mailing to my
    daughter and granddaughters whom are in their late teens. Thank you

2 years ago

Glad I could help so many generations Malia.

9. Michelle

Hi,
    I am experiencing a mixture of symptoms. I have an abalation just over 3 years ago for heavy bleeding and it helped a great deal. Some months I would have nothing, some months just spotting but in Dec (2012) I began bleeding again. Nothing heavy but just continuous. I made an appt with the doctor but the first available slot is Jan. 24th. I was thinking about trying some of your suggestions before then because I can feel the tiredness and fatigue beginning to set in.

I think mine is mostly a hormonal imbalance but when I tried to discuss it with the doctor back in 09, before the abalation, he said I was too young to be having hormonal issues. I was 36 then. Here I am 3 years later, at 39, thinking I may have to have a hysterectomy. I think the doctor and his staff are nice and well-meaning but I feel foolish sometimes when explaining the issues I am having. The looks and tone of voice make me feel like I did something wrong!

My question: Do you use all of the things you have listed? Is it better to try a variety to see what works best? I don’t really care for tea, but I think I could manage a couple of cups of very warm or hot tea.

2 years ago

Hi Michelle: For the short-term, I think a combination of Shepherd’s Purse and Red Raspberry Leaf infusion taken 3 to 4 times a day as a hot or iced tea would help dry up your bleeding. You could flavor this tea with 1 tsp peppermint leaves or 1/2 tsp honey. Take another look at my blog “11 Ways to Reduce Menstrual Flooding” and read the information on Shepherd’s Purse.

For medicinal purposes, I use herbalist Susun Weed’s method for making a nourishing herbal infusion:

Place one ounce (30 grams) of dried herb by weight in a quart (liter) jar.
      Fill jar to the top with boiling water.
      Cap tightly and steep for at least four hours; overnight is fine.
      After brewing, strain the liquid from the herbs.
      Squeeze the herbs to get all the goodness out.
      Refrigerate the liquid, which needs to be consumed with a day or two.

Drink a nourishing herbal infusion over ice or heated up, with honey or not. Drink 2-4 cups of infusion a day.

Variation: You can mix nourishing herbal infusions with fruit juice or soda water; you can add whiskey or miso, honey or ginger to them, or flavor them in any way that appeals to you.

Long-term you may want to experiment with herbs to address the underlying hormonal imbalance. Please look for other solutions than a hysterectomy – DIM, Bell Master Herbalist HRT Menopause Combo, etc. Also, see my comments earlier in this thread re: the importance of keeping your reproductive organs!! There’s a great book you may want to read called “The Unhysterectomy”. Search my blogs with this title to read a guest blog by the book’s author.

Hope this helps!

Wendy

10. Treasy
    2 years ago

Hi thanks for the advice I was at the end of my tether, I have always been on the heavy loss side(family trait) No fibroids or anything. But at 51 it has become really difficult. I am a teacher and cannot just drop what I am doing and take a bathroom break. I have been taking Agnus castus which has helped the hot flushes and have just started raspberry leaf supplement. I have bought some Lady’s mantle on line but it is in a tincture(liquid) with no dose instructions. I am in the Uk and it seems impossible to buy in a health food store here. Any idea of how much to take?

2 years ago

You could start with 20 to 25 drops twice daily in a small amount of water or herbal tea. You may want to try Shepherd’s Purse tincture – I think that one is faster acting. Everyone’s body is different so you’ll have to experiment to see what works for you.

11. Jenny Parker
    2 years ago

Hi lady’s. I am having an issue with my uterine fibroid. The doctor told me it was pretty big about the size of an orange. I bought organic shepards purse at a local health food store with no instructions on how to prepare. I googled instructions on how to prepare but it’s different from suggestions on here. I want to know if it’s ok to add two tablespoons of dried shepards purse to one pint of boiling water then let it steap for about 45 minutes to allow infusion,put in fridge and after tea cools drink 1/2 cup every hour or as needed. I no longer have anemic issues because I was taking iron pills percribed by doctor and I have been eating lots of raw foods. Is there a special diet for women who have fibroids? If anyone knows please share.

12. Jenny Parker
    2 years ago

Hi ladys. I want to share that today I found a blog site and I read that some lady was taking the recommended dose of shepards purse tincture but it was ineffective so she increased the dose to 60 drops every hour and she claimed that it nearly stopped the bleeding but she ran out and will be ordering more. Heres a link to the site posted by ROX she explains how she prepared it http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/284275-shepherds-purse-for-heavy-bleeding-perimenopause/ Unfortunately for me I already purchased the dried version so I am drinking tea. I hope it works for me. Will report my results later.

13. AP
    2 years ago

I have fibroid tumors and take all these herbs when my cycle comes on and they work like a charm.

I take yarrow, red raspberry capsules and shepherd’s purse, lady’s mantel, cramp bark, and black haw tincture several times a day—-you can’t really overdose on these herbs and I take plenty.

My cycle is very light 1st day, light to normal second day, and very light to almos non-existent the 3rd day. I was anemic and since getting the heavy bleeding in check, my iron levels are great.

If you are having trouble with heavy bleeding do not sleep on these herbs.

14. Chauntelle
    2 years ago

So are the herbs you talk about in pill form or tea form? Thanks!

15. Lauryn
    2 years ago

I’m 27 and a first time mom. I used to have extremely irregular periods, sometimes not happening for 6 to 7 weeks! Not to mention the cramps and heavy bleeding when I did get it. Now they’re regular, I can look at the moon phase and can pinpoint when I’m supposed to mensrtate, usually within a day or so. But the heavy bleeding has just gotten worse since I’ve had a child. I’ve really only known about raspberry leaf, and I can swear by it for horrible cramps both in my abdomen and lower back. I also have read about squaw root or American penny royal (please don’t quote me on this as I am just beginning to study herbalism) for excessive bleeding and painful menses. But even though your article describes the flooding around menopause, I sometimes experience this also. So this herbal info is also helpful for those of us “blessed” with awful periods and not just menopause. Thanks for this very useful and easy to understand read!
    ~Lauryn

16. Moj makatam
    2 years ago

Hi ladies. been experiencing most of the mentioned symptoms and waned to share what I have learned mostly thru trial & error over the past 4 years. 1- reduce/eliminate caffeine( tea/coffee/chocolate/soda) for about a week before menstruation. 2- reduce/ eliminate soy and all soy products in your diet FOREVER. Caution: soy milk/soy oil/ soy protein is in almost all the processed food/ restaurant food. 3- A low manganese level has been shown to cause heavy bleeding. Grind your own organic whole cloves and put a dash into water or juice or sprinkle on your meals. 4- best way of getting iron in the body is to eat a bit of grass fed beef products. 5- surgery is not the answer as I found out by talking to many friends/ family. Treat the underlying hormonal imbalance. Good luck to all and thank you for posting your helpful comments.

17. kamara
    1 year ago

Brigitte.This reply is late,but,my flooding stopped when I started taking Magnesium 400 mg everyday.I used to have to run to the bathroom when the sudden gush of uncontrolled bleeding was felt.No more since the magnesium.Hope this helps.I use a relatively cheap kind.You can do some research on Magnesium and exactly why it helps.Good luck to you.

18. Sara
    1 year ago

19. Mel
    1 year ago

I have had heavy periods for years, so heavy that I can’t leave the house and I need time off work. Killer period pains and loads of flooding. This month I took Cod Liver Oil pills – about 40,000iu a day, just for the time I had my period, as well as over the counter anti-inflammatories. It went from 5 days of bleeding and painful and flooding hell to 2 and a half days of manageable, low pain period with less than 50% of the bleeding. I’m so happy. I’ve never written on a blog in my life, but I needed to share this. Apparently excessive bleeding can be caused by too much estrogen, and the Vitamin A in the cod liver oil supresses or block it or something, I’m not sure exactly but it worked. So happy. This is genuine. I’m 50 and having excess bleeding was I go into peri-menopause and this worked. Vitamin A can cause birth defects, so only try this if you are not going to get pregnant.

1 year ago

Congratulations on finding something that works for you Mel! Most women need more omega 3 oil in their diets, which act as anti-inflammatories. There’s a line of products in Canada produced by Lorna Vanderhaeghe that target women’s issues. Her ‘EstroSmart’ is an excellent product for women of any age who experience unbalanced hormones. You may need to take the capsules for several months and be diligent about taking the dose for your age group.

20. Amanda
    1 year ago

Hi, so good to read this site! So sorry to hear there are so many of us out there! I wonder if you (or anyone) has experience with massive flooding after taking Shepherd’s Purse for the first time. I’d also started taking Vitex and Yarrow/Red Clover from a herbalist for the first time today (which I know takes 3-4 cycles to kick in), but have been so heavy the last few days I thought I’d try SP (self-prescribed) as well since it had so many good reports. Disaster! If it happens again today, I know I’ll be in hospital. Not at all sure what to do. Is it a cure – or not? Any advice would be great.

12 months ago

Amanda, please check out Lorna Vanderhaeghe’s ‘ESTROsmart’ capsules to help balance your hormones.

21. Ashbee
    1 year ago

So if I want to reduce heavy bleeding, when should I start taking the Shepherd’s purse?Daily, or before the period starts, or after it starts?
    Also, how much should I take?

12 months ago

Take 20 drops per hour during heavy menstrual bleeding. If you’re aware that your period will likely happen in a day or so, take a few doses in advance.

22. Stevie
    11 months ago

How much yarrow tincture should I take to stave off my menstrual cycle another week?

8 months ago

You can’t delay your period unless you use chemical drugs – and I don’t recommend you do that. Move with your body’s natural rhythms. It’s a form of self respect.

23. sharon
    10 months ago

Hi everyone–I have noticed that when I eat gluten foods and processed sugar, or too much of anything containing any kind of sugar, it either starts my period or makes it longer, or starts bouts of flooding–I have used Ray Peat’s progesterone oil/vit. e. concoction–very reasonably priced–and it helps a lot–some of the herbs have worked well for a time, and then lost their efficiency–I am on mesoglycan to rebuild circulatory/vascular system and am pretty sure that is making some of the flooding occur–how to balance that kind of thing, when I’m repairing after ischemic incidents?

8 months ago

Well, sugar is poison so it’s not surprising when it’s use contributes towards undesirable effects. My advice is to avoid sugar – develop a personal rule about it. Make an exception no more than once a week.

Gluten intolerance is an interesting condition. Not everyone has a reaction to wheat, yet because all wheat is GMO (genetically modified), it’s better to avoid it altogether.

Pay attention to the foods that seem to give you trouble. It’s your body talking and you really need to listen. I’ve noticed that drinking green tea (known to be an anti-coagulant) causes my periods to be heavier.

Yes, herbs can lose their effectivenss over time. That’s why I always recommend women eat more cruciferous vegetables, which have been consistently proven to help women navigate the rough waters of menopause. I’ve posted the list many times on this website, but here it is again: Arugula, Bok choy, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese cabbage, Collard greens, Daikon, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mustard greens, Radishes, Rutabagas, Turnips, Watercress.

Hope this helps!

Wendy

24. Regina
    7 months ago

Hi Wendy, I am 32yrs. with no children. I always had period issues my whole life on and on. I have been flooding now since February 23- til now. This has been the longest flood so far. I’ve been to so many doctors. All they tell me is to wait until I stop bleeding, in order for me to have the proper test taken. Two months went by and I was still bleeding so I went back to the doctor and she prescribed me some expensive pills that should stop my period. It hasn’t. Im at my last option now. So I started researching about Chinese medicine and that’s how I found out about all these herbal medicine. After getting a ultrasound and a pelvic exam everything came back normal. My main concern at this point of my life is to be able to have children, my fiance is starting to get annoyed by my mood swings and I’m getting weaker and weaker. Is there a herb out there that can help with conceiving as well as stop bleeding? Help me please!!!!!!

6 months ago

There are herbal combos you can purchase at natural food stores – or online that help to balance female hormones. I suggest you may want to find one that you can take for a few months – give it time to work. I also suggest taking milk thstle to support your liver and the Chinese herbs ashwaghanda and shissandra to help you cope with stress. You say your fiancé is annoyed by your health issues. Only you know if your relationship is beneficial to you or part of the problem. You may want to explore the ‘meaning’ of excessive bleeding – from a body-mind message standpoint.

Blood
      The heart is our center of love, and so the blood is the expression of our love, circulating through our world outwards from ourselves. It is the life-giving liquid that flows throughout our whole being, carrying our emotions and feelings. Any conditions of the blood or the blood vessels is directly to do with our feelings or conflicts about love, our ability or not to express those feelings, our desire to withdraw them, an emotional overloading or outpouring. For instance, bad circulation resulting in cold limbs can indicate a withdrawal of blood, and of expressing our love into those areas (whether it be the hands or the feet) that meet other people. – From The Body-Mind Workbook by Debbie Shapiro

25. Maria-there
    4 months ago

Hello gals, this is a very inspiring article. I have had anemia for a long time and always dreadfully heavy periods. A lot of it stems from the way I eat before my period comes how easy it is. Also, helpful women around me assured me that after the first pregnancy my period would eventually get easier, but that was not the case at all. My flow got even worse and so did my anemia. I have found relief from Red Raspberry and Yarrow also using flax seeds and oil seems to help reduce the pain and flow dramatically. I’m glad to know there are so many herbs for curing anemia because the fatigue and horror that I suffered from previously has been greatly reduced. I used to get iron infusions, which didn’t help much–that’s how bad it was! I look forward to an easy time now that I have a bit of information on how to heal myself and I hope this article and any info from the comments also will greatly help future readers.

2 months ago

Thanks Maria! Always great to hear from someone who is successfully using herbs to manage their menstrual flow! Shepherd’s Purse tincture is my herb of choice currently!

FREE 30-minute
Menopause Strategy Session
for Action-Takers

Are you ready to take action about your menopause challenges?

Do you want practical natural remedies that will help you – FAST!

Do you want to learn the single most important first steps to wellness that you can do now.

Click here to book a FREE Menopause Strategy Session with Wendy

Wendy Vineyard at Linked In

Get Your
FREE
Menopause Fix Kit here!

Enroll now to receive:
A 5-day mini e-course "5 Worst Menopause Mistakes" to jump-start your journey to better health and wellness - now and beyond menopause.
A "Menopause Checklist" - See the current state of your menopause. Do you need to take action now? This checklist will help you decide.
Powerful natural menopause tips, strategies & resources, articles, recipes and insights.
* First Name
* = Required Field

Want to know some
really useful secrets
about menopause that
your doctor doesn't
have time to tell you?
Listen to This!

Surgery, drugs and added hormones won't keep you young. So what will?

Slow Aging at the Cellular Level!
Look and Feel 10 to 15 Years Younger

After 10 months of using this 'youthful aging' supplement,

my gray hair is being naturally replaced by my original hair color;
age spots and wrinkles are disappearing;
and energy and stamina are returning!
To order Product B or to learn more: